Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Merchants and Marauders

This game hits me right in the feels!  I love a good nautical adventure.  Some of my favorite stories and movies have a core element invovling the high seas.

Like any good choose your own adventure book, this game sets the mechanics in motion based on your intentions as a sea captain.  Are you going to give it a go as a honest merchant, shipping your goods from port to port? Are you going to rain havok as a privateer sinking ships to Davey Jones' Locker?  Once you initiate your first attack, there's no turning back.

I've been reading "Red Seas Under Red Skies" and I wanted to play out its story in some capacity to this game.  Sacking ships was my first order of business.  I found out very quickly that it was very profitable - but also very risky.  But with the risk came the reward and the excitment.

Within a few turns I had already acquired muliple bounties on my head which made it next to impossible to go back to a life of merchant shipping for my stream of income.  All the merchant ships fly country flags and once you attack  a ship - you become an enemy of that country.  This reduces the ports you can sail to as well as makes you a target of the game's naval ships that can search you out and chase you down.

The events of the game are fascinating.  I found the 'rumor' cards to be most interesting.  These are side missions that can pay big dividends.  Hurricanes and storms also took you off  your course.   Does your captain have a enough seamanship experience that you can roll your way out of a gale force wind?   What two warring empires are at it now?  Don't look now but there's also other pirates searching the seas for the gold stored in your hauls.

I can't say enough good things about this boardgame.   It really does a good job of combining elements of other games I've played such as Cataan, DnD, Risk, Eldritch Horrors, Arabian Nights etc. all with a really great Pirates of the Carribean theme!

My good friend over at Glowing Turtle has  an excellent un-boxing video on his Youtube Channel.

Merchants and Marauders can be found in most games stores and was created by z-man games.

No comments:

Post a Comment